Arts Jobs - DetailAssistant Production Manager
Sunset Cultural Center, Inc.
Job Title: Assistant Production Manager
Reports to: Production Manager
Job Type: Part-time, non-exempt
Sunset Cultural Center, Inc. (SCC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation that was formed in October of 2003 to manage the historic Sunset Community & Cultural Center. What began as a public school in 1926 has been transformed into a state-of-the-art performing arts center with an intimate 718-seat theater, stunning gothic architecture, and incredible acoustics. Our $3 million annual operating budget includes the presentation of 20-25 main stage programs each season, a comprehensive outreach and arts education effort, and the employment of 14 FT staff members. Additionally, SCC oversees the historic outdoor Forest Theater also located in idyllic Carmel-by-the-Sea.
General Purpose/Major Responsibilities
The Sunset Cultural Center in Carmel, CA is seeking a dynamic, team-oriented individual as a part-time Assistant Production Manager. SCC manages two venues in downtown Carmel: Sunset Center, a multi-use performance facility featuring a 718 seat proscenium theater plus conference and meeting space, and the Forest Theater, a historic outdoor 500-seat theater. The hours for this position vary and will average approximately 20 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work is required. Under the direction of the Production Manager, this position ensures the safe, efficient and effective production operations throughout the facility and off-site.
- Assist in managing the production department with the priority of protecting the organizational reputation and assets of all stakeholders including SCC, Inc. and the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea, along with resident companies and other users
- Assist in managing all backstage operations; including stage set-up, lighting/sound needs, and related production functions for approximately 150 events annually
- Assist in scheduling and supervising event production crews, securing appropriately trained labor adequate for the needs of performances, with special consideration for event budget limitations
- Ensure the physical safety and protection of crew, performing artists, audiences and all others through proper implementation and enforcement of safety procedures
- Assist in managing the physical inventories of lighting, sound and A/V equipment
- Contribute expertise to all comprehensive planning activities related to SCC’s growth
- Develop, review, and occasionally amend production-related policies and procedures with senior management
- Work collaboratively with all admin and theater staff
- Accomplish work employing Microsoft Office, Vectorworks Spotlight and Microsoft Outlook software
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- The ideal candidate will possess at least two years of experience working in a performing arts venue and a broad range of knowledge related to theatrical equipment.
- Strong customer service skills to ensure a positive experience for all clients and guests.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook are required.
- Able to quickly navigate facilities, including stairs and seating areas.
- Able to work calmly under pressure, manage multiple job functions and problem solve.
- Must prepare and present concise written reports and communicate effectively and efficiently.
Wages are competitive and commensurate with experience. Various benefits are offered, including paid holidays and vacation time.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, salary requirements and be prepared with three current professional references that can speak to your ability to perform the referenced responsibilities. Please submit the above list of items in a single PDF document to Michael Jayko at email@example.com. Phone calls will not be accepted. Principals only (no recruiters please). Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
Thank you for your interest!
**Sunset Cultural Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace. We extend our thanks and appreciation to all applicants for their expressed interest in working at SCC and will contact those selected for an interview.