Arts Jobs - DetailDeputy Director
San Diego Art Institute
San Diego, CA
The San Diego Art Institute (SDAI) is seeking a Deputy Director to support the work of the Executive Director; handle multiple and varied operational, finance, fundraising, project management, and administrative responsibilities; and function as a liaison between the Executive Director and department heads in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with overlapping and changing priorities and deadlines.
SDAI is an 8,000 square foot contemporary art center located in San Diego’s Balboa Park. We showcase work from the Southern California/Baja Norte region and, in so doing, stimulate new experiences by connecting audience with artist and contemporary art-of-the-moment. Current programs focus on rotating six exhibitions annually, an active artist-in-residence program, and a robust program of lectures, workshops, performances, and social events per year, as well as youth arts education and community outreach.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with the Executive Director in implementing SDAI goals and objectives.
- Manages day-to-day operation of office, gift shop, and SDAI physical facility;
- Develops management and operational guidelines and procedures as needed;
- Handles HR responsibilities; including the supervision of three or more staff members including the Creative and Communications Manager and the Visitor Experience department.
- Assures smooth operation of SDAI on a day-to-day basis.
- Responsible for accounting function at SDAI, working in conjunction with Executive Director and bookkeeper;
- Oversees vendor contracts;
- Provides statutory reporting, including monthly sales tax filing and benefits reporting, as well as year-end 1099 and 1042 reporting.
- Acts as SDAI’s Business Manager;
- Processes business forms, including insurance certificates, tax exempt forms, and resale certificates;
- Maintains accurate paper and digital files and records.
- Uses and implements CRM software;
- Supports preparation of grant applications, grant reporting requirements, and changes to grant programs and grant-making procedures;
- Supports fund-raising and friend-raising event planning.
- Implements Project Management software to coordinate work activities, establish priorities and manage work flow.
- Bachelor's degree with related arts management, business and finance work experience.
- A minimum of three years’ relevant professional experience, including supervisory roles.
- A working knowledge of museums or the arts/cultural organizations in a contemporary art setting is a plus.
- Exceptional organizational ability, analytical skills, and attention to detail;
- Ability to keep to tight deadlines while covering a wide-range of activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively in written and verbal format to different audiences.
- Extensive knowledge and proficiency with accounting software and administrative systems (e.g., ADP, QuickBooks, Square).
- Superior skills in Excel and advanced skills in Word, PowerPoint, and Google apps.
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- An interest in and commitment to the mission of SDAI.
Reports to the Executive Director. Supervises and works in coordination with SDAI department directors, managers, and professional service providers.
This is a full time non-exempt position requiring weekday as well as occasional weekend and evening attendance. Salary is $43,680 to $50,000/year, depending on experience. SDAI offers a full benefits package including PTO and medical insurance.
The San Diego Art Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the employee is expected to perform. Opportunities for advancement are provided after fulfillment of three-month probationary period.
Submit resume and a cover letter addressing how you meet the above qualifications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight PST, December 22, 2017 and include the position title in the subject line. Please note we will contact you only if we would like to schedule an interview. No phone calls please. Thank you for your interest.