Arts Jobs - DetailMarketing Assistant (Summer Apprenticeship)
San Luis Obispo, CA
Job Title: Marketing Assistant
Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Part-time seasonal apprenticeship (full-time during Festival)
Duration: July 5 – August 3, 2018
Festival Mozaic is a fast-paced, fun and vital community nonprofit organization that presents performances by internationally renowned classical musicians and crossover artists in venues throughout San Luis Obispo County, California. The 2018 Festival dates are July 18 – 29 and will feature chamber, orchestra and “Un-Classical” concerts, Notable Encounters, farm-to-table brunches and dinners, free “Midday Mini-Concerts,” master classes, open rehearsals, and more.
The Marketing Assistant is a key member of the Festival Mozaic team. The Marketing Assistant’s primary responsibilities are coordinating the Festival’s marketing, social media and photographic efforts during the summer, as well as providing some administrative support to the Executive Director. This position will also require interaction with the Music Director, General Manager, House Manager, Technical Director and stagehands, Recording Engineer, Festival photo/videographers, volunteers, musicians, venue staff and other apprentices. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of classical music and an interest in non-profit marketing, event planning and/or arts administration.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
PRIOR TO FESTIVAL:
- Distribute Festival postcards, posters and brochures to local businesses.
- Create a calendar of photography needs during Festival. Coordinate photography event assignments with Festival photographer.
- Create a calendar for Facebook/social media posts during Festival.
- Plan and create post-event email marketing blasts to occur during the Festival.
- Create sponsorship signage and banners for events.
- Draft program inserts, surveys, and other program materials.
- Attend pre-Festival production meeting(s) and review master technical calendar.
- Attend pre-Festival volunteer orientation meeting(s).
- Visit Festival venues with General Manager and other apprentices.
- Create, update and operate pre-concert/intermission PowerPoint slides.
- Coordinate and transport Festivities for the Festival fundraising items to all events.
- Coordinate Festival Mozaic sponsorship and event signage/banners at all events.
- Assist with transportation of supplies between venues. Occasionally transport musicians to/from events.
- Assist House Manager/Volunteer Coordinator with lobby and musician hospitality setup. Staff FOH tables as necessary to sell raffle tickets, merchandise, fundraiser events, etc.
- Assist with special event setup and tear down.
- Take photos at events and/or coordinate with Festival’s photographer. Collect photos from Festival photographer daily.
- Create content for Festival Mozaic’s social media outlets during Festival. Create a Facebook post at least once per day and post event photos to Facebook daily.
- Assist Festival videographers with video recording setup/operation at select events.
- Run Festival-related errands.
- Create post-Festival audience surveys.
- Assist with creation and distribution of post-Festival press releases.
- Assist with reorganizing and restocking equipment and supplies.
- Create thank you notes for donors, in-kind and media sponsors, wineries, etc.
- Catalog all Festival photos.
As a small organization, all employees of Festival Mozaic are expected to perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Talents, & Abilities
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Formal music education preferred.
- Experience with digital photography preferred.
- Experience with Google Drive and Dropbox preferred.
- Team player with a positive attitude and ability to problem solve.
- Excellent people skills and strong customer-service ethos.
- Respect for a diversity of cultures.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required (mileage reimbursed at IRS rate).
- Cell phone with text message and email capabilities required.
Confidentiality: All matters pertaining to operations, donors, patrons, volunteers, musicians and other Festival personnel must remain confidential.
Organization: Good time-management skills, attention to detail, and positive attitude. Ability to work independently and with a team and meet deadlines.
Coordination: Understand the relationship of all operational positions to each other, and their impact on the culture and meeting operational goals. Adjust actions on relation to others’ actions, i.e., collaboration and team work.
Mission: All employees are responsible for promoting the mission of the organization. All employees follow branding and communications standards established for the organization.
- Free admission to all Festival Mozaic events.
- Housing in a private home for duration of apprenticeship (if required).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to lift up to 35 pounds, climb stairs, ability to see well in semi-darkness. Must be able to work long hours during Festival – evenings and weekends are required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Solitary and team-work settings; noise level ranges from quiet to loud; some outdoor events in varying temperatures.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume online at: www.festivalmozaic.com/apply.
Application deadline: February 15, 2018
Mozart Festival Association dba Festival Mozaic is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, disability, sex, marital status, age, gender identity or any other protected status covered by federal or state law. www.FestivalMozaic.com